By Kelsey Lubeck, R.D., Retail Dietitian of Inserra Supermarkets’ ShopRite of Emerson
There’s no better time than National Nutrition Month® to aim to “put your best fork forward.” Choosing better-for-you food options and making other small changes like the ones listed below will help improve your health today and in the years to come. Try following some of these tips:
- Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. Remember to fill half your plate with produce, especially those in season, such as artichokes, asparagus and grapefruits. Try keeping cut up vegetables on hand to grab as a snack. As the weather gets warmer, grill some fruits, like peaches, for a delicious and healthy dessert.
- Practice cooking at home more and test out new ingredients, including bold ones from around the globe. Ask a friend for a new recipe. Experiment with new herbs and spices too, such as turmeric, curry, cilantro or cayenne.
- Add more whole grains to your diet. Whole grains are a better choice than refined grains because they provide more fiber and help reduce the risks of many chronic diseases. Read food labels to ensure that the first ingredient says whole wheat or whole grain flour.
- Pass on the salt. The USDA recommends healthy adults consume no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium per day (or about one teaspoon of salt). Instead of reaching for the salt shaker, try alternative, salt-free seasonings.
- Manage your weight or lower your health risks by consulting with your in-store registered dietitian. Dietitians provide easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice. One size does not fit all when it comes to diet, but eating well doesn’t have to be complicated!
Inserra’s Retail Dietitians are here to help you make changes for a healthier you. Stop by anytime!
Sources: EatRight.org, Oldways
(Diane – we will have the coupon codes to you asap)
$1 off – ShopRite Quinoa
$1 off – Wholesome Pantry Frozen Mixed Berries