REPORT BY CPD
The Clarkstown Police Detective Bureau has determined the cause of the fatal house fire that occurred last week at approximately 11:30 p.m. on Monday October 27, 2014 at 51 Hansen Ave in New City. The investigation revealed that the portable generator located in the garage had a gasoline leak. The fumes from the leak were ignited by the pilot light from either the hot water heater or the furnace, which were both located in the utility room off of the garage.
Luis Fernandez was in the garage starting to clean up the fuel leak and Ruth Fernandez went to the utility room to retrieve rags to assist with the clean up. As she opened the door of the utility room, the fumes were allowed to come into contact with the pilot lights. The subsequent explosion caused the death of Luis Fernandez and the severe burns to Ruth Fernandez.