Land to be sold to highest bidders on April 23
The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) will auction 10 parcels of land in Rockland, Orange, Ulster and Westchester counties next week as part of the state’s Surplus Property Program aimed at returning properties no longer needed to the hands of private owners who can better care for and develop the land.
The land auction will be held on Wednesday, April 23, at 10:30 a.m. in the NYSDOT Regional Office, at the Eleanor Roosevelt State Office Building, 4 Burnett Boulevard, Poughkeepsie 12603. Registration will begin at 9:30 a.m. The auction is open to the public.
Additional information, including maps, values, deposits and starting bid prices for each are listed on the state’s website at https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region8/other-topics/surplus-property. Prospective bidders should research local municipal zoning requirements before placing bids.
Four parcels are located in Rockland County, all within the Village of Chestnut Ridge:
- Village of Chestnut Ridge – 9.403± acre vacant, generally level, wooded parcel with 747± feet of frontage on NY Route 45 in the in northwest quadrant between Chestnut Ridge Road and the NYS Thruway. Bidding will begin at $720,000.
- Village of Chestnut Ridge – 6.753± acre vacant parcel with 544± feet of frontage on Old Nyack Turnpike and access at the foot of Shavelson Road, located between the NYS Thruway and Old Nyack Turnpike west of Sima Lane. A 959± square foot utility easement is located approximately midway along the street frontage and is occupied by a telephone equipment cabinet. The northwest corner of the parcel is traversed by a municipal sewer line. The central 1.97± acre portion of the property is a designated wetland. The 2.36± acre westerly portion of the property along Old Nyack Turnpike is mostly useable upland. Bidding will begin at $176,400.
- Village of Chestnut Ridge – 10.556 acre vacant parcel with 764 feet of frontage on NY Route 45 and 285 feet of frontage on Scotland Hill Road. A 150-foot-wide Orange and Rockland high voltage transmission line crosses the property. Low-lying, wet areas occupy a significant segment of the western portion of the property. The topography inclines toward Scotland Hill Road. Bidding will begin at $217,600.
- Village of Chestnut Ridge – .62± acre, vacant, residential-zone parcel with 320± feet of frontage on Sima Lane, off Old Nyack Turnpike. The property is moderately wooded, at street grade and generally level. Bidding will begin at $140,000.
In addition, one parcel is located in Orange County:
- Town of Newburgh – 6,316± square-foot paved parking lot with 73± feet of frontage along North Street between Carpenter Avenue and Stern Drive between 2 Plank Road and 74 North Street. Bidding will begin at $13,600.
One parcel is located in Ulster County:
- City of Kingston – 12,980± square-foot vacant parcel with 126± feet of frontage along Hasbrouck and Delaware avenues. Access is limited to the westernmost 50 feet. The property is crossed by an underground municipal water line and sewer line. Bidding will begin at $12,000.
And four parcels are located in Westchester County:
- City of Yonkers – 1.078 acre (46,941± square feet), mostly wooded plot with 220± feet of frontage along Central Park Avenue and 162± of frontage along Heights Drive. The parcel is 145± feet deep and 285± feet wide. The property inclines substantially from Central Park Avenue. Bidding will begin at $262,400.
- Village of Ardsley – 1.729 acres with 862± feet of frontage along Route 9A (Saw Mill River Road). The property is level along the frontage and inclines toward the rear. A 15-foot wide underground fiber optic easement runs across most of the frontage. Bidding will begin at $684,000.
- City of Yonkers – 5,000± square-foot vacant plot with 50± feet of frontage on the west side of Nepperhan Avenue between Lake Avenue and Oneida Street. The parcel is 100± feet deep, inclining from street grade. Bidding will begin at $40,000.
- City of Yonkers – 3,118± square-foot vacant lot with 28± feet of frontage on Lake Avenue, west of Nepperhan Avenue. Bidding will begin at $47,200.
Prospective bidders may obtain more information by contacting the Region 8 Office of Right-of-Way in Poughkeepsie at 845-437-3392. To register, bidders must present a certified or bank check for the amount of the deposit required on the property for which they intend to bid.
Each parcel was acquired by the state for highway improvements. The land is no longer needed for transportation purposes and will be available for purchase by public auction. The auction provides an opportunity for the parcels to be developed and put to good use, while at the same time returning the property to the local tax rolls.