Column by Assembly Kieran Lalor (Dutchess County)
Key Bills for 2014 Legislative Session
• Assembly Bill A.4580 to cap all state spending to the level of inflation.
• Assembly Bill A.4158 to stop the state from hiding taxes in recurring “fees” on the taxpayer.
• Assembly Bill A.8131 to repeal the START-UP NY program because it costs taxpayers more than $330 million dollars, won’t create jobs and represents a glaring example of crony capitalism where Albany picks winners and losers.
• Assembly Bill A.5839 which authorizes municipal corporations, school districts and BOCES to consolidate services and functions to save taxpayer dollars.
• Assembly Bill A.2088 which enacts the New York State Thruway Authority Accountability Act and merges the Thruway Authority into the Department of Transportation.
• Assembly Bill A.6146 to require drug testing for welfare recipients.
• Assembly Bill A.7368 which limits the terms of both state Assemblymen and Senators.
• Assembly Bill A.6161 which allows for recall elections for politicians who violate the public trust.
• Assembly Bill A.6782 which reduces the salaries of all legislators by 10%.
• Assembly Bill A.7564 to cap the state gas tax at the national average, which will save drivers 20 cents per gallon.
• Assembly Bill A.7289 which reduces per diem and travel expenses of legislators and requires receipts for all reimbursements.
• Assembly Bill A.7290 which eliminates costly and often abused leadership stipends.
• Assembly Bill A.7570 which takes away pensions from politicians convicted of a crime.
•Assembly Bill A.07994 which repeals Common Core state education standards initiative.
• Assembly Bills A.5608 and A.5955 to repeal the onerous and unconstitutional SAFE Act.
• Assembly Bill A04972 which enacts the New York state Mandate Relief for School Districts Act.
• Assembly Bill A06546 which enacts the Taxpayer Protection and Mandate Relief Act.