The NYS Tax Department will register homeowners receiving the Basic STAR exemption at two events in Rockland County in the coming days.
– 10/1, 7:30 p.m., Fieldstone Middle School, 100 Fieldstone Drive, Thiells
– 10/8, 7:30 p.m., Town of Orangetown, Orangetown Townhall, 26 W. Orangeburg Rd
The STAR Registration program impacts 52,908 Basic STAR recipients in Rockland County, and 2.6 million homeowners statewide. Senior citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption are not impacted.
The registration facilitates Governor Cuomo’s initiative to protect New Yorkers from fraud and waste in the STAR Program. The average homeowner saves $700 as a result of the Basic STAR exemption, which is available on the primary residence of homeowners with incomes under $500,000.
The registration deadline is December 31 in order to continue receiving the exemption in 2014 and thereafter.
Basic STAR recipients have three easy options to register:
- More than 175 public events such as this one (full list of local events)
- Online registration at the Department’s Web site takes only 2 to 4 minutes: www.tax.ny.gov
- Homeowners without Internet access or with questions should call 518-457-2036.
Find more information at the STAR Registration Media Center (art work, video content, background information): http://www.tax.ny.gov/press/star_media.htm