The Stony Point Police will be participating in “Operation Safe Stop” by adding additional patrols starting today, April 18. Funds for this initiative were procured through the Governors Traffic Safety Committee. Clarkstown Poilice Department is also participating.
“Operation Safe Stop” targets drivers who pass stopped school buses. Increased patrols will continue throughout the school year targeting all violations dealing with speed and reckless driving. For more information regarding this initiative you may visit: http://www.safeny.ny.gov/media/beSmart-schbus.htm
TIPS FOR SHARING THE ROAD WITH SCHOOL BUSES:
1) Remember buses make frequent stops. Be prepared to stop for them.
2) Never pass a stopped school bus with its red lights flashing on the right or left.
3) Watch for children who cross in front of the bus when the bus is stopped.
4) Look for children at bus stops and those running to bus stops.
5) By law school buses are required to stop at railroad crossings.