FROM CHRIS SMITH FOR TAX RECEIVER
Chris Smith, a candidate for Orangetown Receiver of Taxes, has released a reform action plan that he will enact when elected. Smith’s plan has five components that are aimed at lowering taxes, cutting waste, and assisting senior citizen taxpayers during these tough economic times.
“My plan focuses on five specific areas that will help cut government waste and improve tax collections for Orangetown,” Smith said.
Smith’s action plan includes:
1) Eliminate of the position of receiver of taxes, which will save hundreds of thousands of dollars per year.
2) Simply tax bills, so residents can more easily understand bills, thereby making it easier to pay taxes.
3) Create payment plans for senior citizens who are having difficulty making tax payments.
4) Increase accessibility by having the office open late or on Saturdays at least two times per month.
5) Allow residents to opt-in to a paperless billing system, which will help the environment and reduce postage costs for Orangetown.
“Taxpayers work hard every day for their money, and we should make it easy for them to pay their tax bills,” Smith continued. “Government is supposed to work for the people and by making this office more efficient and accessible residents it will improve provide public service, rather than simply take residents’ tax dollars.”