Patrick Stroupe strode to a decisive victory and Maria Michta fended off a pair of pursuers to capture the women’s crown at the USA Track & Field 30-Kilometer Racewalk Championships held Sunday, Oct. 28, at Rockland Lake State Park in Congers.
The race was directed by Dave McGovern, a former Congers resident and 1983 Clarkstown North graduate who is a nationally recognized racewalking coach and former elite competitor.
Stroupe, 28, of Armstrong, Mo., completed the 18.6-mile multiple-loop course in 2 hours 18 minutes 34 seconds to win by nearly a full mile over runner-up Nick Christie of San Diego, who clocked 2:25:11. John Nunn, a 2012 Olympian at 50K, finished third in 2:26:22. Christie was the third-place finisher at the U.S. Olympic Trials 20K walk in June.
Michta, 26, of Nesconset, N.Y., opened up a slight lead over Katie Burnett and Susan Randall and maintained a 200-meter advantage to the finish to win in 2:40:44. Burnett wound up second in 2:41:46 and Randall took third in 2:42:48. Michta, representing Walk USA, won the 2012 Olympic Trials 20K walk and finished 29th in the London Olympics. Randall, of the Miami Valley Track Club, placed seventh in the Olympic Trials 20K.
Dan Serianni, Ian Whatley and Chris Schmid combined to lead World Class Racewalking to the team championship with an aggregate time of 8:34:26.
Concurrent with the 30K, a 50K (31.1-mile) race was contested to achieve qualifying marks for the 2013 Pan Am Cup in Lima, Peru, and the 2013 World Championships in Moscow, Russia. The top three finishers posted “A” qualifying marks for the World Championships. Andrés Chocho of Ecuador, who competed in the London Olympics 50K, won the competition in 3:49:26, a South American area record. Andreas Gustafsson of Sweden, a two-time World Championships competitor, finished 250 meters behind Chocho in 3:50:47. Gustafsson is the son of Bo Gustafsson, the 50K silver medalist at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. Evan Dunfee of Canada also made the Worlds “A” qualifying standard and dipped under 4 hours, clocking 3:59:58.
Serianni, 22, of Rochester, N.Y., and Ray Sharp of the Pegasus A.C. both qualified for the U.S. Pan Am Cup 50K team. Serianni finished fifth in 4:38:26 and Sharp placed sixth in 4:44:14.
USATF 30k Race Walk Championship, October 28, 2012
Rockland Lake State Park, Valley Cottage, N.Y.
USATF Course Certification #NY12126JG
USATF 30K Championship Women
1. Maria Michta Walk USA 2:40:44 1st overall female
2. Katie Burnett Unattached 2:41:46
3. Susan Randall Miami Valley TC 2:42:48 1st 35-39
USATF 30K Championship Men
1. Patrick Stroupe Unattached 2:18:34 1st overall
2. Nick Christie San Diego Pole Vault Club 2:25:11
Allan Segura Guest: Costa Rica 2:26:18 Betters existing National Record
3. John Nunn U.S. Army 2:26:22 1st 35-39
Men’s 30K Team Scores
1. World Class Racewalking Serianni, Whatley, Schmid 8:34:26
2. Shore AC Talcott, Soucheck, Vayo 9:07:12
Women’s Non-Championship 20K
1. Magaly Bonilla Ecuador 1:41:53 Age 20
2. Mereth (Nirvana) Alba Mexico 1:47:02 Age 20
International & US Pan-Am Cup Trials 50K
1. Andrés Chocho Ecuador 3:49:26 Betters IAAF “A” standard, IAAF Area Record (South America)
2. Andreas Gustafsson Sweden 3:50:47 Betters IAAF “A” standard
Men’s International 20K
1. Esteban Soto Colombia 1:28:25
2. Jocelyn Ruest Canada 1:38:48
Men’s Non-Championship 25K
1. Alejandro Chavez South Texas Walking Club 2:04:17 Betters US Junior Record
Women’s Non-Championship 10K
1. Molly Josephs Walk USA 53:50
2. Monika Farmer Walk USA 59:50
Men’s Non-Championship 10K
1. Robert Campbell World Class Racewalking 1:08:33
Men’s Non-Championship 5K
1. Jonathan Hallman World Class Racewalking 22:30
2. Robert Marchand Canada 31:15
Women’s Non-Championship 5K
1. Elizabeth Pasquale World Class Racewalking 31:14
2. Caitlin Apolo New Rochelle HS 31:20