There were a couple smoky days in Stony Point this week, as winds that passed over the wildfires in Harriman State Park drifted over town, however the fire seen in this photo came from a different source. On Monday a careless smoker threw a lit cigarette into the mulch outside the Stony Point Shop-Rite.
According to Stony Point Police Chief Brian Moore, this is not an isolated incident. He said, in fact, it’s quite common for cigarette butts to cause mulch fires. Chief Moore asked that smokers be more conscientious of where they put out their butts, sparing their neighbors and the fire department the nuisance, and preventing the possibility that some day one of these mulch fires turns into something bigger.