Rockland County District Attorney Thomas P. Zugibe announced that Joel Grossbarth (DOB 03/20/61) of 29 Linden Court, New City, New York has been re-arrested and arraigned for allegedly stealing an additional $328,000 from unsuspecting clients.
Grossbarth is charged with:
Two counts of Grand Larceny in the Second Degree, class “C” Felonies
In November, 2008, the defendant is accused of stealing $118,000 in settlement money from two clients represented by his legal practice. According to the charges, the victims were led to believe their case was still pending in 2011. In February, 2010, Grossbarth is alleged to have duped another client by depositing $210,000 in settlement money into his personal account. As alleged in the previous incident, the client was led to believe her case was still pending, even though it had been settled by the defendant.
District Attorney Zugibe said, “This defendant is alleged to have once again scammed unsuspecting clients to steal a substantial amount of money. Today’s re-arrest will keep this scam artist from making a mockery of justice. Additionally, the public must be warned that the defendant is suspended from practicing law and must be avoided.”
Grossbarth was originally charged on December 27, 2011 with one count of Grand Larceny in the Second Degree for allegedly stealing $70,000 from a couple who retained his representation in a medical malpractice lawsuit. It is believed that the defendant has stolen nearly $1 million from multiple clients he represented in a number of different proceedings.
Said Zugibe, “We urge other clients or former clients who suspect they have been targeted to come forward and seek our help. This defendant’s alleged crimes are particularly egregious and will be vigorously prosecuted.”
Individuals who believe they have been similarly victimized by Grossbarth should contact (845) 638-5001. His re-arrest resulted from an investigation conducted by the Rockland County Special Investigations Unit. Grossbarth was arraigned in the Town of Clarkstown Justice Court by the Honorable Scott Ugell and released without posting additional bail; the $25,000 bond posted in December covers all three counts of Second-Degree Grand Larceny. He is due to return to court on March 5, 2012.The defendant faces up to 15 years in state prison, if convicted.
It should be noted that a criminal complaint is merely an accusation and that a defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.