Over the past week a large Black Bear has been sighted in the Monsey/Wesley Hills areas of the Town. Town and Police officials advise residents to do the following:
1) If you see the Bear and/or if it comes onto your property call the Ramapo Police Department (357-2400) or Ramapo Animal Control Officer (Cathy McGrath 222-8449) immediately. DO NOT APPROACH THE BEAR
2) The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) regulates the removal of Black Bears from all venues in New York State. During normal business hours 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM call the Wildlife Regional Office (845) 256-3098 or during off-duty hours 4:00 PM – 8:00 AM call 1-877-457-5680 to report a sighting and/or an emergency situation (after calling the local Police).
3) The Ramapo Police Department is increasing Police presence in the areas where sightings have occurred, in particular during night time hours.
4) In response to a request by Supervisor Christopher P. St. Lawrence, DEC officials will inspect areas in Ramapo where Bear sightings have occurred on Wednesday, November 16, 2011. Our Animal Control Officer will lead the inspection tour.
5) Reminder: Please take down all birdfeeders and cover your garbage cans. These are the two major attractions for Black Bears.