This June the lights went out at Airmont Village Hall in the middle of a session of village justice court after a utility pole fell down and snapped some wires.
While power was eventually restored, Trustee Ralph Bracco had already been pushing the board to seek out a standby generator in case something like this happened.
A government building such as the Village Hall should be the last place to deal with an electricity outage, he reasoned. After all, what if the people need something from their government and the government cannot respond due to a blackout? What if there is an emergency and people need somewhere to gather?
Spearheaded by Bracco, the Board of Trustees sought funding for a standby generator. They found their angel in the person of Senator David Carlucci, who guaranteed up to $100,000 in state assistance for the project.
Valentin Electric installed the 50KW Kohler Natural Gas Standby Generator and now Airmont Village Hall on Cherry Lane is ready to survive just about anything mother nature throws at it.