PSA FROM CPD
Since September 10, 2015, there have been five reported thefts of catalytic converters from vehicles in the Town of Clarkstown. Four cases were in Nanuet and one in New City. In all of the cases, the vehicle was left parked overnight in a parking lot and the theft was noticed by the owner on the following morning.
The targeted vehicles were all trucks, SUVs or pick-ups – vehicles that are particularly vulnerable to catalytic converter thefts since they sit higher up from the ground. Victims of these thefts have to pay anywhere from $400 to $1,600 to have the part replaced. The catalytic converter is an important part of your exhaust system.
To prevent catalytic converter theft, here are some tips:
• Always park in well-lighted areas.
• At shopping centers and other similar parking lots, park close to the entrance of the building or near the access road where there’s a lot of traffic.
• If you own or work at a business or factory, park within a fenced area that’s busy during the day and secured at night.
• Engrave your license plate number on the converter to make it traceable.
• Buy a vehicle security system and make sure it’s set to trigger with just slight motion.
• Visit a local muffler shop and have the converter secured to the vehicle’s frame with a hardened steel welded to the frame.
• Examine the different types of catalytic converter theft deterrent systems at your local auto parts store or online.
Scrap Metal Yards are asked to report any suspicious individuals attempting to sell converters for cash. We ask the public to be aware of these thefts and to report any suspicious activity in areas were vehicles are parked overnight. If you see something, say something. Please call the Clarkstown Detective Bureau if you have any information about these thefts at 845-639-5840.