Edited from Nyack Free Press; Photos from Kenny Flynn and Nyack Free Press
ORANGEBURG – Twenty-five residents of the Cortwood Village senior housing complex in Orangeburg were displaced by a fire there Saturday night, July 25, with the American Red Cross called in to assist them with shelter.
The residents were affected by a fire that was reported shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday, which brought out volunteer firefighters from Orangeburg – with assistance and standby operations from nine other volunteer fire departments.
Shortly after midnight, firefighters reported they had the fire knocked down and were conducting searches of the affected apartments. By about 12:50 a.m., firefighters were checking the affected units for hidden pockets of fire. Additionally, firefighters were making arrangements for firefighters from various communities to cover any other emergencies that might come up.
In all, over two dozen residences were evacuated. Officials determined a lit cigarette thrown in mulch was the likely cause of the blaze.
Over 50 fire volunteers from Orangeburg, Piermont, Tappan, Sparkill, Pearl River, Central Nyack and Blauvelt responded to the crisis.