Rockland County Legislator Frank Sparaco (R-Valley Cottage) has announced that he is declining to seek the post of minority leader of the Rockland County Legislature for the 2013 session. Legislator Sparaco was elected minority leader for the 2011 session, and again for the 2012 session.
“It has been a privilege and an honor to serve as the Minority Leader of the Rockland County Legislature. I am proud of the record I have built during that time both as a legislator and as Minority Leader – a record of fighting taxes of all kinds, and promoting the ideas of fiscal responsibility during these difficult times,” said Legislator Sparaco.
As minority leader, Legislator Sparaco told his supporters he voted and tried to organize against the following new taxes:
· Property tax increases of over 80 percent
· Doubling the mortgage tax
· Increasing the cell phone tax by 30 cents a month
· Increasing the sales tax rate to 8.75 percent
· Creating a 4 percent tax on all heating bills
· Creating a “Transfer Tax” of thousands of dollars for home sales
· Creating a vehicle registration tax
· Creating a 3 percent hotel occupancy tax